A day in the life of a multidisciplinary team therapy assistant

Meet Charlotte, one of our multidisciplinary team therapy assistants


I arrive at the hospice and start the day in the therapy team. The first thing I do is log on to the computer and print off the inpatient unit handover for the therapy team for the day. I then check my emails and log onto our patient database to see if there are any tasks and or new referrals to the service.


We have a team handover following the morning multi-disciplinary team meeting to find out what tasks are needed from the therapy team for the inpatient unit.


I then make sure that all the patient notes and appointments are set up for the volunteer complementary therapist who is coming in today. I make sure that the room they will be seeing patients in is ready for them and they have all the resources they need to provide the complementary therapies.  This is something we offer to patients and is either Reiki or a gentle hand or foot massage called M-technique.  I am also trained in this and can offer this to patients on our inpatient unit.


Today I am heading out to visit a patient in the community to provide a walking aid for them and to demonstrate some equipment that one of my occupational therapy colleagues has prescribed. For this patient it is a bath lift, which helps them to get in and out of their bath independently.


I return back from the community visit and check in with the volunteer complementary therapist that all of their appointments have gone well.  I then input the complementary therapy sessions on our patient data base and also write up my visit to the community patient.


Time for a break for lunch! I have lunch in the Heart of the Hospice café, which is always an opportunity to have a chat and catch up with colleagues too.


This afternoon I am supporting the lymphoedema service and I have an outpatient coming in to use a machine called the biocompression machine. This machine simulates a gentle massage which can help to soften someone’s legs which are swollen due to lymphoedema.


Now another change of scene and this time onto the inpatient unit to work with my physiotherapy colleague to do some rehabilitation with one of our patients. We are working with this patient to increase their mobility and confidence in moving around.


Back in the office to write up my notes from the outpatient and the inpatient.  This is also chance to check any phone messages, and check any tasks that my therapy team colleagues may have given me.


I need to check the waiting list for the complementary therapy service and make some phone calls to book some new appointments for patients for next week.


One further task for the day is to complete the hand hygiene audit for the therapy and family support team. This is an important spot check to make sure the team are following the hospice protocols for hand hygiene.


Before I finish work, I make sure I leave any tasks on our system for my colleagues to follow up in the morning. I also check the inventory of the equipment we hold in a substore from the Swindon Community Equipment service to make sure that we have an up to date record. We use this substore to provide equipment such as commodes and toilet frames at short notice for any patients who have had a sudden change in their condition.


My day at work comes to an end and I head home.